Different Consents that You May Need for Building Works

Building an infrastructure requires thorough planning. There are times that you need to hire a lawyer, an engineer, or other professionals to ensure the quality of the building and that no problems will arise later. It also includes carrying out legal processes and documentation like building and resource consent.

The scope of these consents varies. There are times that you will need both of them or just one depending on your building plans. According to Cato Bolam Consultants, a consultancy company specializing in resource consent,  it is important that you know the difference between the two to save you time and money.

For Building or Altering Infrastructures

Those who want to build new buildings or make alterations are required to apply for building consent, which may include the addition of garage, fireplaces, plumbing works (if not done by authorised personnel), solar panel installation, demolitions, and more.

A building consent is an approval given by authorities to make sure that your building plans adhere to the law. The consent is given by authorities like the regional authorities, councils, and even registered private professionals.

Not everyone is required to apply for a building consent depending on who will do the building works. The exemptions are stated under the Building Act Schedule 1 which is divided into three parts.

The first part refers to the general works that can be done by everyone. Part Two involves sanitary, plumbing or drainage works done by professionals. Part three denotes that the building design is reviewed or will be carried out by a professional engineer.  Even though your building plan is exempted, you may still wish to apply for a building consent for assurance.

For Building Works that Contradicts with the Resource Management Act 1991 or Regulations of the District Council

You need to apply for a resource consent if your building plan will make use of the land that reaches beyond the boundaries of the permitted building coverage. Otherwise, you do not need one if your house plan is still under the scope of the RMA or your district plan.

Ask for an advice to a professional such as an engineer or to a resource management consultant to prepare all the necessary requirements for your application and to advise you if you need to apply for a building consent too.

To prevent future problems, you need to consult a professional who will guide you throughout the process. Hire professionals and invest in the right materials. Lastly, persevere to get the right consent that you need. By doing these things, you will rest assured that your infrastructure will stand for several years.